The Indian MMA team secured two wins at the 2018 IMMAF World Championship. The team could also walk out with a gold medal from the tournament as Mahboob Khan Mohammed has entered the finals of the Junior Men’s Strawweight category.
Mahboob defeated Yerulan Kabdulov of Kazakhstan at the event to progress into the finals of the event. He will now face Ebrahim Darwish of Bahrain in the finals and has already secured a silver medal for the team. In the same category, Yash Chandwal was given the bronze medal. He got the medal despite losing his semi-final fight against Ebrahim Darwish.
Elsewhere, in the senior section, Imkongsunep Jamir secured the sole win for Team India. He defeated Daniel Ljaško of Czech Republic in the first round. Jamir, however, suffered a defeat in the next stage to Daisuke Murayama of Japan.
Divya Nagaraj, who suffered a defeat to Polina Kobzeva of Russia in the Women’s Lightweight category, was given the bronze medal due to the minimal number of fighters in the division.
Akshata Khadtare, Raish Muhamad Musa, Suraj Patkar and Balakrishna Patange were the other fighters that represented India in the senior category. As for the junior category, Ariz Ahmad Khan fought in the Bantamweight category and suffered a defeat to Jack Corr of Northern Ireland.
You can see the complete results of the Indian fighters below.
- Raluca Dinescu (Romania) def. Akshata Khadtare (India) (Women’s Atomweight)
- Polina Kobzeva (Russia) Divya Nagaraj (India) (Women’s Lightweight)
- Xiaoyu Zhou (China) def. Raish Muhamad Musa (India) (Men’s Flyweight)
- Imkongsunep Jamir (India) def. Daniel Ljaško (Czech Republic) (Men’s Featherweight)
- Daisuke Murayama (Japan) def. Imkongsunep Jamir (India) (Men’s Featherweight)
- Pavel Senchenko (Ukraine) def. Suraj Patkar (India) (Men’s Lightweight)
- Abdulrahman Alhasan (Bahrain) def. Balakrishna Patange (India) (Men’s Middleweight)
- Mahboob Khan Mohammed (India) def. Yerulan Kabdulov (Kazakhstan) (Junior Men’s Strawweight)
- Ebrahim Darwish (Bahrain) def. Yash Chandwal (India) (Junior Men’s Strawweight)
- Jack Corr (Northern Ireland) def. Ariz Ahmad Khan (India) (Junior Men’s Bantamweight)