An extremely stacked Bellator 216 card featured two fighters long slated to face other in dangerous striker Paul Daley and undefeated British powerhouse Michael ‘Venum’ Page (13-0 MMA, 8-0 Bellator MMA).
The fans in attendance at Mohegan Sun Arena in Connecticut where certainly treated. Tensions were high between Daley and Page due to the bad blood between the two. The first round didn’t feature much offense as both the fighters processed each other. The second round however featured something rather unusual. Daley, who is known for his striking prowess and has criticized fighters in the past for taking the grappling route, himself started applying a wrestling based approach. Daley continued the similar approach throughout the fight. Page was able to land some kicks of his own and also managed to take Daley’s back eventually defeating him via unanimous decision (48-47 on all cards). Page was able to get the job done dealing with the trauma of his dad’s sad demise, makes it even more impressive.
The main card kicked off with debutant Valerie Loureda take on Colby Fletcher. Loureda was able to get an impressive TKO victory courtesy of vicious ground and pound. Also undefeated Yaroslav Amosov took on UFC veteran Erick Silva. Amosov defeated Silva to extend his winning streak to 21.
In addition, legend Cheick Kongo took on former champion Vitaly Minakov in a virtual title eliminator. MMA legend Mirko Cro Cop also made his Bellator debut against veteran Roy Nelson.
- Michael Page def. Paul Daley via unanimous decision (48-47, 48-47, 48-47) – welterweight grand prix opening round
- Mirko Cro Cop def. Roy Nelson via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Cheick Kongo def. Vitaly Minakov via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Yaroslav Amosov def. Erick Silva via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Valerie Loureda def. Colby Fletcher via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:55
PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- Demetrios Plaza def. Andrews Rodriguez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-27)
- Justin Sumter def. Reginaldo Felix via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:27
- Kemran Lachinov def. Kastriot Xhema via submission (kneebar) – Round 2, 0:53
- Tyrell Fortune def. Ryan Pokryfky via TKO (knee, punches) – Round 1, 2:21
- Vinicius De Jesus def. Rodolpho Barcellos via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:46
- Jesse Kosakowski def. Rodolfo Neves Rocha via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 3:05
- Nekruz Mirkhojaev def. Pat Casey via submission (neck crank) – Round 3, 1:18