Last night was a pretty good one to be a fan of the sport of MMA. Two of the MMA world’s biggest promotions, UFC, and Bellator MMA served the fans with mouth-watering fight cards in the form of Bellator 226 and UFC 242. Bellator 226, in particular, turned out to be a rather controversial yet entertaining event.
The Bellator 226 fight card was headlined by a heavyweight title bout between the Bellator MMA heavyweight champion Ryan Bader and the gritty veteran Cheick Kongo. However, the fight ended in a rather controversial fashion soon after beginning due to an accidental eye poke by Bader. Here’s what he had to say about the eye-poke:
I was feeling strong, the match was going my way and I had him on the ground, I didn’t do it on purpose.
It should be noted that until the fight was stopped in the first round and was somewhat dominating the action. Apart from the no contest in the headliner, fighters like Derek Campos, Adam Borics and Pedro Carvalho also registered victories.
Below are the entire fight results from Bellator 226:
- Ryan Bader vs. Cheick Kongo ends in a No Contest (accidental eye poke from Bader) at 3:51 of round 1.
- Derek Campos def.Daniel Straus by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-25, 30-25).
- Adam Borics def. Pat Curran by TKO (punches) at 5:00 of round 2.
- Pedro Carvalho def. Sam Sicilia by submission (face-crank) at 1:56 of round 2.
- Emmanuel Sanchez def. Tywan Claxton by submission (triangle choke) at 4:11 of round 2.
- Daniel Carey def. Gaston Bolanos by submission (guillotine choke) at 4:15 of round 1.