At Bellator 258, Sergio Pettis took full advantage of his first title opportunity to dethrone the champion Juan Archuleta and become the new Bellator bantamweight champion.
Bellator 258 took place on Friday night at the Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn. The event was headlined by Sergio Pettis and Juan Archuleta for the bantamweight title.
The co-main event featured the highly anticipated debut of two-time UFC light heavyweight title challenger Anthony Johnson, making his return to competition after four years. Rumble Johnson was going to fight his late replacement Jose Augusto stepping in for an injured Yoel Romero. Another main-card fight was between Peter Queally and Patricky Freire. In the opening main card bout, Bellator superstar Michael Venom Page fought Derek Anderson.
Sergio Pettis defeated Juan Archuleta via unanimous decision at Bellator 258
Sergio is now a world champion just like his elder brother Anthony. Anthony Pettis was a lightweight champion in the UFC and WEC. Sergio not only got the victory but won the fight by a margin. Sergio beat Archuleta with a unanimous decision on scores of 50-45, 49-46, and another 49-46.
He used his fast accurate striking and maintained the pace of the entire fight and didn’t let Juan capitalize any moment of the fight. At the beginning of the fight both the fighter tried to exchange some heavy shot but none of them landed significantly on each other. By the second half of the first round, the champion Juan tried to get a takedown but could not hold Sergio for too long on the ground. Sergio then landed to clean shots.
In the second round, Archuleta put Pettis on the canvas with a takedown about 75 seconds in and got his back but Sergio manages to get himself out and trade some shots. Pettis used his jab and managed the distance between them through the second round and third round.
Juan took Sergio down right at the beginning of the fourth round but wasn’t able to do anything with it instead he ate some shots after getting back on the feet. Pettis had some really good moments in the fourth round of the fight that snapped back the champion’s head several times.
In the fifth and final round, Archuleta came out aggressive as he needed a finish to win the fight. But Pettis stood his ground and did his best in those exchanges. Archuleta also got a late takedown but again wasn’t able to put much damage on Pettis.
By the end of the fight, it was clear that Bellator had their new Bantamweight champion.
Bellator 258 Full results:
- Sergio Pettis def. Juan Archuleta via unanimous decision (50-45, 49-46, 49-46)
- Anthony Johnson def. Jose Augusto via knockout (punch) – Round 2, 1:30
- Peter Queally def. Patricky Freire via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 3, 0:01
- Michael Page def. Derek Anderson via TKO (doctor’s stoppage) – Round 1, 5:00
- Raufeon Stots def. Josh Hill via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Lorenz Larkin def. Rafael Carvalho via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Patchy Mix def. Albert Morales via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 2:40
- Omar Hussein vs. Logan Storley* – scrapped due to Hussein failed medicals
- Johnny Eblen def. Daniel Madrid via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:44
- Johnny Campbell def. Henry Corrales via submission (RNC) – Round 2, 4:12
- Johnny Soto def. Weber Almeida via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Erik Perez def. Blaine Shutt via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here.