AJ McKee is the most viral topic on the heels of Bellator 263 as the promotion has just throned its new Featherweight champion after his stunning submission victory over Patricio Pitbull.
On top of submitting the two division champ via guillotine choke in the first round, McKee has also bagged the Bellator Featherweight World Grand Prix prize money- a lush $1 million.
It’s just getting started: AJ McKee on his remarkable win over Patricio Pitbull
Back in 2015, AJ McKee emerged as one of the biggest prospects in Bellator after his promotional debut at Bellator 136, and on the heels of 17 fight win streak, the undefeated 26-year-old from Long Beach, California finally touched the milestone in his career- his first MMA championship.
The main event of Bellator 263, which took place at The Forum in Inglewood, California, the promotion’s first event outside the Mohegan Sun bubble, saw McKee locking horns against the reigning lightweight and former two time featherweight champ Patricio Pitbull for the latter’s featherweight title.
The bout started off at a moderate pace with both fighters attacking each other from the range, which favoured McKee who aimed to connect with leg kicks to knock down Pitbull early.
The Brazilian, however, miscalculated a head kick from McKee and followed by a barrage of punches, went down on the canvas with “Mercenary” getting on top of Pitbull and locking him in a guillotine choke, forcing his opponent to tap out at the 1:57 mark of Round 1.
— BellatorMMA (@BellatorMMA) August 1, 2021
Alongside clinching the featherweight belt, McKee also pocketed the lavish $1 million for winning the Featherweight World Grand Prix final.
“Man, all my dreams are coming true,” an excited McKee said following his victory, “It’s amazing. We’re not done, we’re just beginning. It’s just getting started.”
Check out the complete Bellator 263 fight card results below:
- AJ McKee (c) def. Patricio Pitbull via first-round submission (guillotine choke)
- Mads Burnell def. Emmanuel Sanchez via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Usman Nurmagomedov def. Manny Muro via first-round TKO (knee and punches)
- Islam Mamedov def. Brent Primus via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Goiti Yamauchi def. Chris Gonzalez via first-round TKO (punches)
- Vanessa Porto def. Ilara Joanne via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Gadzhi Rabadanov def. Daniel Carey via first-round TKO (punches)
- Khasan Magomedsharipov def. Jonathan Quiroz via second-round TKO (punches)
- Joshua Jones def. Johnny Cisneros via second-round TKO (punches)
- Georgi Karakhanyan def. Kiefer Crosbie via first-round submission (arm-triangle choke)
- Brian Moore def. Jordan Winski via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26)
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here.