The Bellator 278 event took place on April 22, 2022, at the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States, and was headlined by the Women’s Flyweight Title fight between undefeated flyweight champ, Juliana Velasquez and challenger Liz Carmouche. The co-main event of the card feature two qualifier matchups Nikita Mikhailov will face Enrique Barzola with the winner between them will face Magomed Magomedov. Also, Journal Lugo and Daniel Sabatello will fight each other and the winner will be set up against Leandro Higo in the first round of the tournament.
The main event fight between Juliana Velasquez and challenger Liz Carmouche ended in some sort of controversy. The first round of the fight was tight in d for both the parties as both of them had some moments. Liz Carmouche might still have lost the early round as she was knocked down twice by her opponent. The Bellator champion Juliana Velasquez took the momentum of the first round to the second and third rounds of the fight. She was winning the early exchanges and secured the early rounds of the fight as he landed some amazing strikes and scored two amazing knockdowns.
Your new flyweight champ is @IAmGirlRilla!
Liz gets it done tonight with a hard-fought win at #Bellator278. pic.twitter.com/u7c4p4NK5V
— BellatorMMA (@BellatorMMA) April 23, 2022
But leading into the championship round the fight momentum shifted towards the challenge who the fight to the ground and took control of the fight. Liz Carmouche then got into a comfortable crucifix portion and started to batter her opponent. The referee Mike was watching the action pretty closely and had warned the Bellator champion to make some moves or she might be in trouble. The champion tried her level best to get out of that position but wasn’t able to do and the referee had seen as he jumped in to stop the fight and made Liz Carmouche the new Bellator women’s flyweight champion. The win of Liz Carmouche also broke Velasquezz unbeaten run.
The Bellator 278 results:
- Liz Carmouche def. Juliana Velasquez via TKO (elbows) – Round 4, 4:47 – for Bellator women’s flyweight title
- Enrique Barzola def. Nikita Mikhailov via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) – Bellator bantamweight grand Prix wild card
- Danny Sabatello def. Journal Lugo via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-26) – bantamweight grand Prix wild card
- Grant Neal def. Christian Edwards via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Manny Muro def. Nate Andrews via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Weber Almeida def. Fabricio Franco via TKO (referee stoppage) – Round 1, 3:01
- Dante Schiro def. Scotty Hao via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:03
- Blake Perry def. Makoa Cooper via submission (anaconda choke) – Round 2, 4:14
- Liz Carmouche defeated Velasquez via TKO in the fourth round to become the new Bellator women’s flyweight champion
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here