Earlier today the Nevada State Athletic Commission held a meeting with both the teams of Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin in regards to the former’s failed a drug test for Clenbuterol. There wasn’t a decision expected on the matter today as no official hearing has been set. According to LA Times, NSAC said that they had been investigating the clenbuterol issues since early March, and have decided that they want Alvarez to face the commission on April 10th for a disciplinary hearing.
“Mr. Alvarez is temporarily suspended by the Nevada State Athletic Commission per the executive director for his adverse analytical findings, that being Clenbuterol, on February 17 and 20,” a statement by commission executive director Bob Bennett said.
“A commission hearing is scheduled for April 10, 2018 to hear from Mr. Alvarez or for Mr. Alvarez to attend.”
What they decide at that meeting will dictate whether Canelo’s rematch with Gennady Golovkin goes down on May 5th as scheduled.
“We respect the Nevada State Athletic Commission’s process and will vigorously present Canelo’s case throughout, Over his career, Canelo has tested clean more than 90 times and would never intentionally take a banned substance.” Golden Boy said in a statement issued by Stefan Friedman.
Boxing: Mexican legend Julio Cesar Chavez Sr was impressed with Oscar Valdez
Boxing: Canelo Alvarez reported to have passed 2 tests for Clenbuterol in March after failing Feb 20th test