UFC president has confirmed that he has rebooked the lightweight bout between former UFC lightweight champion Charles Oliveira and top lightweight contender Beneil Dariush at UFC 289. The pair were scheduled to fight at UFC 288 on May 7.
UFC president Dana White officially announced the matchup Thursday on Instagram Live.
The contest is anticipated to be the co-main event of UFC 289. The pay-per-view event follows the preliminary matches on ESPN and ESPN+.
Oliveira, 33, will try to bounce back after losing an 11-fight winning run in a vacant title challenge to Islam Makhachev at UFC 280. Oliveira defeated Justin Gaethje in their last match, but due to a half-pound weight-over-limit penalty, he was stripped of the championship. At UFC 262, Oliveira defeated Michael Chandler to win the title. At UFC 269, he successfully defended it by submitting Dustin Poirier.
Since 2018, Dariush, 33, has been on fire. The veteran of 21 UFC fights has a winning streak of eight matches after stopping Scott Holtzman, Drew Dober, Frank Camacho, and Drakkar Klose. In his two prior fights, he defeated Mateusz Gamrot and former interim champion Tony Ferguson by unanimous decisions.
The Rogers Arena in Vancouver, British Columbia, Colorado will host UFC 289. In the main event, Amanda Nunes will face Julianna Pena in a three-round fight to defend her women’s bantamweight title. Nassourdine Imavov vs. Chris Curtis, Stephen ‘Wonderboy’ Thompson vs. Michel Pereira, and Dan Ige vs. Nate Landwehr are the other three bouts anticipated to be on the main bill.
UFC 289 FIGHT CARD:
- Amanda Nunes vs. Julianna Peña – for women’s bantamweight title
- Charles Oliveira vs. Beneil Dariush
- Michel Pereira vs. Stephen Thompson
- Jasmine Jasudavicius vs. Miranda Maverick
- Eryk Anders vs. Marc-Andre Barriault
- Diana Belbita vs. Maria Oliveira
- Blake Bilder vs. Kyle Nelson
- David Dvorak vs. Matt Schnell
- Dan Ige vs. Nate Landwehr
- Lucas Almeida vs. Hakeem Dawodu
- Aori Qileng vs. Aiemann Zahabi