UFC superstar Conor McGregor revealed he felt “ignored” by the UFC in 2020 which resulted in his inactivity in the fight game.
Former Two division champion Conor McGregor said that he was ignored by the UFC in 2020 and that ultimately the lack of direction from the company about his UFC career was the main reason he briefly decided to walk away from the sport over the summer.
At the start of 2020, ‘the Notorious’ claimed that the year would be busier than usual, but when the global pandemic caused a melee in the UFC circuit, the Mystic Man took the exit route from the sport. Though, till this date, he asserts that he was willing to fight on three different occasions, but each time he was put on hold.
Conor McGregor, who is lately been on a stretch of answering fans/followers on Twitter, initiated another such spell of interactions on Tuesday.
While previously he answered questions regarding Khabib Nurmagomedov, Tony Ferguson, and Nate Diaz, this time, he majorly paid heed to queries about his UFC career, and in-process also threw light on his absence from the Octagon, and on the forthcoming fight with Dustin Poirier, which according to Dana White is a done deal.
After being ignored on the 3 dates I put forward. (3 consecutive dates I might add! Would have had me at 4 fights this calendar year) Followed then by being sidelined because no crowds in attendance, I said fuck this and bounced.
4 fights this era = 6mill PPV buys. How much lost? https://t.co/iDVcR2DD3j
— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) November 3, 2020
McGregor posted, “After being ignored on the 3 dates I put forward. (3 consecutive dates I might add! Would have had me at 4 fights this calendar year) Followed then by being sidelined because no crowds in attendance, I said fuck this and bounced. 4 fights this era = 6mill PPV buys. How much lost?”.
Conor vs Dustin 2
Conor McGregor seems to be heading into a rematch against Dustin “The Diamond” Poirier early next year. Conor defeated Poirier in the first-round stoppage six years ago, but the two are now ready to fight again with much bigger stakes on the line. Conor and Dustin Poirier a done deal according to Dana White’s recent comments but there hasn’t been any official announcement by the UFC.
“Yeah, the fight’s done. I think (it’s signed), yeah. As far as I know, it’s done,” White stated in the UFC Vegas 12 post-fight conference following Anderson Silva’s KO loss to Uriah Hall.
With that being said, he stated that it’s unclear if the fight will be for the lightweight title even if Khabib Nurmagomedov has announced his retirement from the sport following his submission win over Justin Gaethje at UFC 254 last month.
He stated that despite retiring from the sport, Khabib was still the UFC lightweight champion.
“He’s still the champ. There’s no vacant title right now or no interim title happening. He’s the champ and we’ll give him some time to figure out what he wants to do.” Dana White said. So Conor McGregor seems to have plenty of big fights on the way next year, including even potentially larger ones down the line in the UFC assuming McGregor can defeat Poirier in January.
Purchase the UFC merch here.