Thursday, October 22, 2020

Dana White: Conor McGregor turned down chance to headline UFC 249

More from author

Professional Fighters League (PFL) announces date, broadcast details for 2021 season

Professional Fighters League (PFL), the first organization ever to present MMA through a Regular Season, Playoffs and Championship format, today announced that the 2021 PFL...

Michael Chandler explains why he isn’t interested in fighting Islam Makhachev

Former Bellator lightweight champion Michael Chandler recently signed with the UFC and is serving as the backup for the UFC 254 main event between...

UFC veteran Josh Barnett to fight former KSW champion Marcin Rozalski in Bare Knuckle Boxing bout

MMA legend Josh Barnett meets former KSW champion Marcin Rozalski in a bare-knuckle boxing bout (with elbows allowed) at the very first Genesis event,...

Fights We Want To See After Conor McGregor vs. Dustin Poirier 2

After ten months away from the Octagon, Conor McGregor announced his return this week. The former Featherweight Champion and Lightweight Champion will fight Dustin...
Jay Rock
Jay Rockhttp://mmaindia.com
MMA, Boxing, NBA, Cricket, Betting
- Advertisement -

Last week, former two-division world champion Conor McGregor retired from the sport. McGregor stated that he retired citing frustrations from the UFC in getting him a fight. However, UFC president Dana White believes that McGregor has no one to blame but himself.

Conor McGregor wanted to fight the interim lightweight champion Justin Gaethje, who is coming off of an impressive fifth-round TKO victory over Justin Gaethje at UFC 249 last month.

Dana White, Conor McGregor

However, the UFC didn’t grant McGregor his wish, and instead, Gaethje will be fighting for the undisputed lightweight title against Khabib Nurmagomedov in September. Later, McGregor verbally agreed to a call-out from former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva, but that match-up only remained a fantasy.

Dana White fires back at Conor McGregor

Now UFC president Dana White has hit back at Conor McGregor stating that the Irishmen declined to fight at UFC 249 last month.

“He wants to fight Gaethje. Gaethje just won to get the fight with Khabib,” White said on ESPN First Take. “He just beat Tony Ferguson. Conor had the opportunity to slide into that spot if Khabib or Tony fell out.

“He came back and said ‘I’m not a replacement fighter, I’m not going to do it.’ He would be in that position now if he took the fight. He didn’t, Gaethje did so Gaethje gets it.”

Conor McGregor is frustrated right now

Conor McGregor is without a doubt the biggest star UFC has ever seen and his ability to sell fights has given him significant leverage when compared to other UFC fighters. He has always had his way with the UFC and now Dana White has stated that McGregor is frustrated because he can’t get what he wants.

Conor McGregor is frustrated right now because I mean look what’s going on,” White said. “Look at what we’re pulling off. We’re literally just going to Yas Island right now to pull off these fights because the hardest thing to do right now is to get people into the country from other parts of the world. We are a true global business. We’re the only one pulling off live sports right now. If I continue to do fights in the United States, I’m going to burn out all my American talent.

Now we got Yas Island ready to go, it’s set up. This is just a matter of Conor being frustrated I think in that he can’t get what he wants right now. It’s just not possible.” Dana White concluded. (H/T – MMAFighting.com)

Do you guys agree with Dana White?

ASLO READ:

https://www.mmaindia.com/fight-island-location-revealed-by-ufc/

If any content is used from this article, kindly backlink to this page.

If you like reading about sports, make sure you check out SportsIndiaShow.com
Also follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.com

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Related articles

- Advertisement -Dana White: Conor McGregor turned down chance to headline UFC 249 - Dana White