The Grapplers from Institute of Jiu-Jitsu Bangalore made headlines at the Damau Singapore Open by picking up multiple medals at the event.
Sanctioned by the Asian Sport Jiu-Jitsu Federation, the event was led by professor Joao Silva and had participation from all over Asia. The team walked away with three gold medals from the event with coach Rohit Vasudevan, Asha Badrinath, and Debojit Dasgupta winning. Rohit won the gold in the Men’s Blue Belt 64 KG Gi category when Asha won in the Female White Belt 48.5 KG Gi. Debojit finished on top of the Male White Belt 64 KG Gi category.
The lone silver for the team came thanks to Reuben Jacob who secured the medal in the Men’s White Belt 64 KG GI category. Mohamed Moosa and Rohit Singh also won bronze medals in their respective categories. Meanwhile, in the 70KG GI Male White Belt category, Saikat Basu and Manu Krishnamurthy shared the bronze medal as they were from the same gym.
In total, the team managed to win seven medals at the event including three gold, one silver, and three bronze.
“Rohit Vasudevan is an outstanding coach. It shows in his dedication and love for jiujitsu. His ability to stay current in a constantly evolving sport sets us apart from other gyms. Winning gold at Singapore is just a start. I’m sure you will see big things from coach Vaas,” John from Institute of Jiu-Jitsu Bangalore noted in an exclusive statement to the MMA India Show.
Below is the complete list of medal winners:
- Rohit Vasudevan – Gold – Male blue belt. 64 kg gi
- Asha Badrinath – Gold – Female white belt. 48.5 kg gi
- Debojit Dasgupta – Gold -Male white belt. 64 kg gi
- Reuben Jacob – Silver – Male white belt. 64 kg gi
- Saikat Basu / Manu Krishnamurthy- Bronze – Male white belt. 70kg gi
- Mohamed Moosa – Bronze – Male white belt. 64 kg no-gi
- Rohit Singh – Bronze – Male blue belt. 94 kg no- gi