Initially, it was Paulo Costa who was supposed to fight Robert Whittaker, but the Brazilian caught flu and he had to pull out of the fight.
Robert Whittaker and Kelvin Gastelum were initially booked to fight at UFC 234 in February of 2019 at the Rod Lavar Arena in Melbourne, Australia. The fight had to be cancelled after Robert Whittaker pulled out the fight with a hernia and twisted bowl.
Kelvin Gastelum then fought Israel Adesanya at UFC 236 in one of the best fights of 2019 and lost via decision. Since then Kelvin went 2-1 in the UFC with his most recent win coming against Ian Heinisch at UFC 258 last month.
Whittaker lost his middleweight title to Israel Adesanya at UFC 243 and then went on to defeat Darren Till at UFC on ESPN 14 and then Jared Cannonier at UFC 254.
With the change, the UFC’s April 17 lineup now includes:
- Robert Whittaker vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Bartosz Fabinski vs. Gerald Meerschaert
- Parker Porter vs. Chase Sherman
- Tracy Cortez vs. Justine Kish
- Tony Gravely vs. Nate Maness
- Austin Hubbard vs. Natan Levy
- Drakkar Klose vs. Jeremy Stephens