The 2018 IMMAF World Championship ended on a positive note for the Indian team as Mahboob Khan Mohammed won Gold in the Junior Men’s Strawweight Category.
By doing so, Mahboob brought home the first IMMAF world Championship gold medal for India. Mahboob, who hails from Telangana and trains under Shaik Khalid, defeated Ebrahim Darwish of Bahrain in the first round to win the medal.
Earlier, he had defeated Yerulan Kabdulov of Kazakhstan to enter the finals. As for Darwish, he defeated India’s Yash Chandwal in the semi-finals to book a spot in the final. Despite losing out, Chandwal was given the bronze medal as the number of fighters in the category was minimal.
Coming back to Mahboob, after the win, he released a long statement on his Facebook page. You can see it below.
“First of all Alhmdulillah that allah puts his mercy on me and made me a champion . And then The person behind my succes my coach Shaikh khalid sir who supported me evry time financialy from the begining without knowing anyone may allah subhana o tala give him more . The best person in my life who totally changed my life from bottom to here Alhmdulillah. No one knows that how he worked hard for me for my success he trained me till i moan till i cried this is the results now. inshallah this is just starting sir . inshallah ill give my best each n every time . all i want is to guide me in every step. words cannot explain things but this is the few things i wanted to say. jazakallah for everything sir. Alhmdulillah,”
As noted earlier, India’s Divya Nagaraj will also be heading home with a bronze medal despite losing in the semi-finals of the Women’s Lightweight category.
You can see the complete results of the Indian fighters below.
- Raluca Dinescu (Romania) def. Akshata Khadtare (India) (Women’s Atomweight)
- Polina Kobzeva (Russia) Divya Nagaraj (India) (Women’s Lightweight)
- Xiaoyu Zhou (China) def. Raish Muhamad Musa (India) (Men’s Flyweight)
- Imkongsunep Jamir (India) def. Daniel Ljaško (Czech Republic) (Men’s Featherweight)
- Daisuke Murayama (Japan) def. Imkongsunep Jamir (India) (Men’s Featherweight)
- Pavel Senchenko (Ukraine) def. Suraj Patkar (India) (Men’s Lightweight)
- Abdulrahman Alhasan (Bahrain) def. Balakrishna Patange (India) (Men’s Middleweight)
- Mahboob Khan Mohammed (India) def. Yerulan Kabdulov (Kazakhstan) (Junior Men’s Strawweight)
- Ebrahim Darwish (Bahrain) def. Yash Chandwal (India) (Junior Men’s Strawweight)
- Jack Corr (Northern Ireland) def. Ariz Ahmad Khan (India) (Junior Men’s Bantamweight)
- Mahboob Khan Mohammed (India) def. Ebrahim Darwish (Bahrain) (Junior Men’s Strawweight)