Last night’s episode of SmackDown LIVE aired from the Smoothie King Center in New Orleans. This was the final WWE show in New Orleans, marking the end of the WrestleMania week.
Here are some of the highlights from last night’s show:
SmackDown LIVE Gets A New General Manager:
- SmackDown Live Commissioner opened the show and announced that Daniel Bryan will step down as the General Manager and now continue as a full-time in-ring talent.
- Shane then went on to introduce the new General Manager for SmackDown LIVE, former Divas Champion, Paige.
- Paige said that this night needs to be special and therefore for the main event of the night, she announces Daniel Bryan vs AJ Styles.
Number One Contenders’ Match for the Tag Team Championships:
- Up next was the match to determine the number one contenders for the Tag Team Titles between the Usos and the New Day.
- The Usos def. The New Day and are now the number one contenders for the SmackDown Tag Team Championships
Women’s Singles Match: Naomi def. Natalya
Thus spoke Nakamura:
- Renee Young interrogated Shinsuke Nakamura about his shocking betrayal of AJ Styles from WrestleMania 34.
- Nakamura said that he got “too emotional” and that he is sorry for what he did to Styles but then winked to make it clear that he certainly isn’t.
- When Renee asked for a more clearer answer, Nakamura just said: “Sorry, no speak English” and walked off.
The fall of the Queen and the rise of a Princess:
- WWE SmackDown Live Women’s Champion Charlotte Flair came out and talked about her WrestleMania moment from Sunday.
- However, she was interrupted by the Iconic Duo, Billie Kay and Peyton Royce who made their debut on the blue brand.
- The Iconic Duo cut a promo on the Queen and then went on to viciously attack Flair, laying her out in the middle of the ring.
- Suddenly, Carmella ran down to the ring and cashed in her Money In The Bank contract and pinned Charlotte to become the NEW SmackDown LIVE Women’s Champion.
Number One Contender’s Match For The United States Championship:
- Next was a Triple Threat Match between Bobby Roode, Rusev and Randy Orton to determine the new number one contender for Jinder Mahal’s United States Championship.
- Randy Orton def. Rusev and Bobby Roode to earn a shot at the United States Championship against Mahal at Backlash.
The Phenomenal One battles The GOAT in a fantasy match:
- Time for the main event, Daniel Bryan’s first match on SmackDown LIVE in three years against the WWE Champion AJ Styles.
- Styles and Bryan put up a phenomenal match until Shinsuke Nakamura interfered in the match and laid out Bryan, who won by DQ.
- Then Nakamura went on to low blow Styles and brutalized him to end the show.