Professional Fighters League (PFL) returned with its second 2021 regular-season event on 29th April at the Ocean Casino Resort in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The main card saw Rory MacDonald (22–6–1) making his PFL debut against Curtis Millender (18–7) and marking a stunning 1st round submission win.
A former Bellator welterweight champion and UFC title contender, Rory MacDonald returned to action after a year and a half long hiatus since facing Douglas Lima at Bellator 232, where MacDonald lost the Welterweight World Grand Prix Final as well as his title.
In December 2019, MacDonald had signed with PFL but his debut had to be pushed back due to the COVID-19 pandemic. His PFL debut fight was originally scheduled against former UFC veteran David Michaud (18–6), but Michaud pulled out from the bout in early April, citing medical complications and Curtis Millender was named as MacDonald’s opponent.
MacDonald shows utter domination over Millender on his PFL debut
The main event kicked off with both MacDonald and Millender attempting to land strikes one another right from the get-go. Following a single-leg takedown attempt, MacDonald aimed for another while Millender showed impressive defense.
With around two minutes to go in the first round, MacDonald got the takedown, going into half guard as Millender was turned on his back. Working on getting a submission, MacDonald was able to sink his arm underneath Millender’s chin, holding his opponent in a rear-naked choke, moments before Millender tapped out.
— PFL (@PFLMMA) April 30, 2021
Check out the full PFL 2 results below:
- Rory MacDonald defeats Curtis Millender via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 3:38
- Ray Cooper III defeats Jason Ponet via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 1, 1:23
- Joao Zeferino defeats Gleison Tibau via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Emiliano Sordi defeats Chris Camozzi via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-27)
- Antonio Carlos Junior defeats Tom Lawlor via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 4:43
- Cezar Ferreira defeats Nick Roehrick via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:37
- Nikolay Aleksakhin vs Sadibou Sy declared no contest (Aleksakhin unable to continue from accidental eye poke) – Round 2, 1:56
- Marthin Hamlet defeats Dan Spohn via technical submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 0:52
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here.