Amidst Jon Jones expressing doubt over the UFC 290 clash against Stipe Miocic- the former UFC heavyweight champ has responded with an assurance to the newly crowned champion that the fight is indeed taking place in July.
In making his heavyweight debut against Ciryl Gane at UFC 285, Jon Jones clinched the heavyweight belt earlier vacated by Francis Ngannou, thus making himself a two division champion.
Soon after the win over Gane, “Bones” went straight for a callout of Stipe Miocic- the former two time heavyweight champ, who has been on a prolonged hiatus since ending his second title run to Ngannou at UFC 260 back in March 2021.
With two years having gone since that setback, Miocic is looking to make a comeback to the Octagon. In the meantime, the 40-year-old had revealed before UFC 285 that he was promised a title shot- to fight the winner of Jones vs. Gane in July.
“Yeah, of course, I would’ve loved to,” said Miocic earlier this month about the fight, “to cement the legacy even more, you know. But, it’s a good fight, and whoever the winner is, I’ll take whoever the winner is. I’ll beat that a*s.”
“Yeah, [the UFC] told me July, yep, they said July, fight in International Fight Week. Yep, [versus the winner of Jones vs. Gane], that’s what I was told. Yep, it’s exactly [the fight I wanted],” he added. [H/T BJPenn.com]
However, Jones had dropped a bombshell recently on Twitter, claiming that Miocic has been ducking him throughout last year- and adding that word is in the air that the speculated July clash may not happen as well.
“Yo @stipemiocic only you the UFC and I know the truth, you dodged me all of 2022 – July, September & December. Now I’m hearing rumors that we may not be fighting this July,” tweeted Jones.
To which, Miocic responded, “See you in July.”
See you in July. pic.twitter.com/lH7ZzemPCH
— Stipe Miocic (@stipemiocic) March 16, 2023
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here.