Newly crowned WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury has laid down his future retirement plans. He said that he will hang up his gloves after fighting Wilder in a rematch and then fighting WBO, WBA, IBF heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua.
Fury recently made an appearance on English TV Show called ‘This Morning’ hosted Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield. In this show, Fury talked about his fighting future.
“Yes, I’ve got two more fights left, and then we’re gonna really think about what we’re going to do from there,” Tyson said.
“Yeah hopefully retire,” added his wife, Paris Fury.
“Because you know, how long is a piece of string? I’m undefeated in 31 professional fights. This is my twelfth year as a professional,” said Tyson Fury.
“I want him home, it’s a long time, when you go away for 8 weeks, if you do that 2-3 times a year [it’s a lot],” Paris Fury added.
Fury’s father said that last week that he wanted to see his son retire from the sport while he is still at the top of his game. However, Fury made it clear that if he doesn’t fight Wilder next then it will be a breach of contract.
“No [I will fight] because I will be in breach of contract,” he concluded.
“You know what, I beat him the first time, I beat him the second time, I will surely beat him the third time.”
Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder 3
The trilogy between Deontay Wilder and Tyson has been set for July 18 at the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas. Fury’s promoter Bob Arum confirmed this to the on Monday.
“We received a letter from Wilder’s team on Friday night, and we agreed with the networks and the hotel that July 18 was the optimal date,” Arum said. “We had a seamless promotion last time with Al Haymon, PBC [Premier Boxing Champions] and Fox. And We look forward to working with them again.” (H/T – LA Times)
The rematch between Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder did tremendous business. The fight sold 850,000 PPV buys and did a gate of $16.9 Million.
Do you guys think Wilder has any chance in the trilogy?