UFC lightweight Tony Ferguson has called out Stockton’s very own Nate Diaz for a fight and also said that all Nate does is talk and doesn’t want to fight.
Diaz, who’s been on the shelf since a “BMF” title loss to Jorge Masvidal at UFC 244, on Tuesday tweeted he’s available for fights in the welterweight division – not lightweight.
NDA soldier 170 lbs
Come get you some of the real 👊🏼 pic.twitter.com/d97Qqunr0I
— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) February 2, 2021
Diaz has emerged as a frontrunner opponent in the futures of several surging lightweights, among them Dustin Poirier, who knocked out Conor McGregor this past month at UFC 257. In a recent interview with ESPN, Poirier appeared open to rescheduling a bout against Diaz at welterweight after their first contest – booked at lightweight at UFC 230 – was canceled when injuries intervened.
“Does it make sense in the lightweight division? No,” Poirier said. “Does it make sense standing in the door front of a title shot? No. But it’s a fun fight and this is entertainment and this is fighting.”
Tony Ferguson responds to Nate Diaz
On Thursday, the former UFC interim lightweight champ responded to a tweet from Diaz earlier this week in which the longtime UFC star seemed to state that he is done competing at 155 pounds, despite names like Conor McGregor declaring that they would gladly welcome Diaz back to the division.
All You Do Is Bitch Out. You Don’t Want No Squabbles From A Real Fighter. 170lbs or 155lbs… SitDown & STFU Casual. 🖕🥷 -CSO- 🇺🇸🏆🇲🇽 pic.twitter.com/rWtipz07HI
— Tony Ferguson (@TonyFergusonXT) February 4, 2021
Ferguson wrote, “All you do is b*tch out, you don’t want no squabbles from a real fighter.” He then seemed to indicate that he is open to competing at welterweight or lightweight before referring to Diaz as a casual.
Diaz (20-12 MMA, 15-10 UFC), who hasn’t competed since suffering a stoppage loss to Jorge Masvidal in November 2019, appears to be gearing up for a 2021 return. Dana White recently hinted that the UFC is working on Diaz’s next fight at lightweight, but said it’s not Ferguson.
Ferguson has taken numerous jabs at Diaz, telling him to “get off his (expletive) and compete,” but Diaz has yet to respond. The native of Stockton, Calif., has been angling for his fights, taking shots at Dustin Poirier and Conor McGregor, and even had Justin Gaethje mention his name for a potential matchup. But Ferguson (25-5 MMA, 15-3 UFC) continues to push for a fight with Diaz, who has seemingly diverted his attention to welterweight.
Diaz has also been touted as a logical follow-up for McGregor following the former two-division champ’s devastating loss at UFC 257. The two have fought twice at 170 pounds, splitting a pair of bouts in two of the biggest blockbusters in the promotion’s history. McGregor expressed equal interest in a trilogy with Diaz or Poirier.
“I think they’re both pretty big,” McGregor said. “Two southpaws as well, which is interesting. They’re both there, so we’ll see what happens.”
At this moment there no updates on fights for Ferguson and Diaz.
Purchase the UFC merch here.
To bet on an MMA event click here.