In what was billed as the biggest heavyweight fight in the last two decades, Tyson Fury defeated Deontay Wilder. The Gypsy King was battering Wilder for the first seven rounds when Wilder’s corner threw in the towel.
Tyson Fury started attacking Deontay Wilder right from the beginning. He was hurting Wilder with his power shots and keeping him at bay with his jabs.
In the last minute of the third round, Fury let his right hand lose which caught Wilder on the temple. This punch dropped Wilder and perhaps also set the pace of the fight as he was never able to recover from this shot. He went down again, but the referee called it a slip.
None the less, the battering continued in the later rounds. In the fifth, Wilder went down again. Wilder’s leg were gone as Fury started unloading his combinations. The referee also deducted one-point from Tyson Fury for holding Wilder for excessive holding.
In the seventh, as Fury was unloading his combination, Wilder’s corner had seen enough and waved off the towel. After which the referee stepped in to stop the fight.
“A big shout out to Deontay Wilder. He came here tonight and he manned up and he really did show the heart of a champion. I hit him with a clean right that dropped him and he got back up. He is a warrior and he will be back. He will be champion again.
“But I will say, the king has returned to the top of the throne!” Fury said during the post-fight interview.
Fury vs Wilder: The full card and results
- Tyson Fury BEATS Deontay Wilder by TKO in seventh round (Heavyweight)
- Charles Martin BEATS Gerald Washington by TKO in sixth round (Heavyweight)
- Emanuel Navarrete BEATS Jeo Santisima by eleventh round stoppage (Super-Bantamweight)
- Sebastian Fundora BEATS Daniel Lewis by unanimous points decision (Super-Welterweight)
- Javier Molina BEATS Amir Imam by unanimous points decision (Super-Lightweight)
- Petros Ananyan BEATS Subriel Matias by unanimous points decision (Super-Lightweight)
- Rolando Romero BEATS Arturs Ahmetovs by second round stoppage (Lightweight)
- Gabriel Flores Jr BEATS Matt Conway by unanimous points decision (Lightweight)
- Vito Mielnicki Jr BEATS Corey Champion by unanimous points decision (Welterweight)
- Isaac Lowe BEATS Alberto Guevara by unanimous points decision (Featherweight)