In the much-awaited main event of UFC 270 on 22nd January, UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou was able to defend his title against interim champion Ciryl Gane via unanimous decision at the Honda Center in Anaheim, California. Ngannou, despite falling behind in the first two rounds, took hold of the fight and was able to win the favour of the judges, who scored the bout 48-47, 48-47, 49-46 for “The Predator”.
It’s one of the most intriguing match-ups of 2022. Francis Ngannou is coming off of an incredible second-round TKO win over former champion Stipe Miocic at UFC 260. It was a rematch of their first fight which took place back in 2018. In that fight, Miocic defeated Ngannou via unanimous decision in a one-sided fight. So when Ngannou defeated Stipe in the rematch, he showed the whole world how much he has improved as a fighter. Before his fight against Miocic, he was on a four-fight winning streak and all of his four-fight ended in Round 1 via knockout.
On the other hand, Ciryl Gane has been on an incredible undefeated streak in his UFC career. In his last fight, he knocked out Derrick Lewis in the third round at UFC 265 to win the interim title. Before this fight, Gane was on a six-fight winning streak in the UFC.
The co-main event featuring a highly anticipated trilogy bout between current champion Brandon Moreno and former champion Deiveson Figueiredo, the latter was able to regain his title with a unanimous decision victory (48-47, 48-47, 48-47). The pair fought for the first time at UFC 263 back in 2020. In an insanely close back and forth fight where Figueiredo also had points deducted, the fight was declared a draw. The pair ran it back again at UFC 256 and this time around the fight was very much lopsided in favor of Moreno. Brandon Moreno defeated the Brazilian via rear-naked choke submission in Round 3.
Check out the full UFC 270 fight card results below:
- Francis Ngannou defeats Ciryl Gane via unanimous decision (48-47 x2, 49-46)
- Deiveson Figueiredo defeats Brandon Moreno via unanimous decision ((48-47 x3)
- Michel Pereira defeats Andre Fialho via unanimous decision (29-28 x3)
- Said Nurmagomedov defeats Cody Stamann via sub (guillotine) (R1, 0:47)
- Michael Morales defeats Trevin Giles via first-round TKO (4:06)
- Victor Henry defeats Raoni Barcelos via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
- Jack Della Maddalena defeats Pete Rodriguez via first-round TKO (2:59)
- Tony Gravely defeats Saimon Oliveira via unanimous decision (30-27 x3)
- Matt Frevola defeats Genaro Valdez via first-round TKO (3:15)
- Vanessa Demopoulos defeats Silvana Gomez Juarez via sub (armbar) (R1, 2:25)
- Jasmine Jasudavicius defeats Kay Hansen via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28 x2
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here.