Former UFC title challenger Colby Covington defeated Jorge Masvidal in the main event of UFC 272, which took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. The judges scored the fight 49-46, 50-44, 50-45. It was complete domination from Colby Covington as he executed his gameplan very well and didn’t let Masvidal get his way back in this fight. Although, Masvidal had his moments throughout the fight and none was as more evident in the fourth round, when he clipped Colby with a right hand that sent him unbalanced. But Masvidal failed to follow up with his shots and ultimately Covington took over.
Following the fight, Colby Covington called out the former UFC interim lightweight champion Dustin Poirier for a fight. He called Poirier a ‘Louisiana swamp trash’.
— MMA India (@MMAIndiaShow) March 6, 2022
In the co-main event, former lightweight champion Rafael Dos Anjos put on a clinic in his fight against Renato Moicano. Moicano was a short-notice replacement as he took the fight on five-days notice as originally it was Rafael Fiziev who was supposed to fight RDA.
RDA dominated the fight right from round 1 and he put on a beating on Moicano. There were instances at the end of round 3 and round 4 when Renato’s eyes were swollen shut and the doctor had to be called, but he was still given the green signal. At the end of Round 4, Renato Moicano showed massive heart as he went toe to toe with Dos Anjos and even landed a couple of clean blows. But in the end, it wasn’t enough and the judges scored the fight for Rafael Dos Anjos.
UFC 272: Covington vs Masvidal Results:
- Colby Covington def. Jorge Masvidal via unanimous decision.
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Renato Moicano, 160-pound catchweight
- Bryce Mitchell def. Edson Barboza via unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-27)
- Kevin Holland def. Alex Oliveira via second-round TKO (punches)
- Serghei Spivac def. Greg Hardy via first-round TKO (punches)
- Jalin Turner def. Jamie Mullarkey via second-round TKO (punches)
- Marina Rodriguez def. Yan Xiaonan via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Nicolae Negumereanu def. Kennedy Nzechukwu via split decision (29-27, 27-29, 29-27)
- Maryna Moroz def. Mariya Agapova via second-round submission (head and arm choke)
- Umar Nurmagomedov def. Brian Kelleher via first-round submission (rear naked choke)
- Tim Elliott def. Tagir Ulanbekov via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- L’udovit Klein def. Devonte Smith via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Dustin Jacoby def. Michal Oleksiejczuk via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)