AMANDA NUNES dominated Raquel Pennington to retain her women’s bantamweight title at UFC 224 in Rio last night. ‘The Lioness’ Nunes dominated in the card-topping women’s bantamweight title bout.
“I’m done, I want to be done,” Pennington told her corner after the fourth round when her nose was badly damaged.
Pennington (9-6) was so demoralized in the bout that she actually told her corner she was finished before the start of the fifth round. Her corner talked her into going back out, but it was all for naught. Nunes took her down and landed hammerfists until the bout was stopped.
Nunes has now won seven in a row and has recorded 11 career knockout victories. Her UFC title run includes victories over high-profile fighters such as Miesha Tate, Ronda Rousey and Valentina Shevchenko. The UFC has expressed interest in a potential super fight between Nunes and 145-pound champion Cris “Cyborg” Justino later this year.
- Amanda Nunes def Raquel Pennington via fifth-round TKO (punches)
- Kelvin Gastelum def Jacare Souza via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Mackenzie Dern def Amanda Cooper via first-round submission
- John Lineker def Brian Kelleher via third-round KO (punch)
- Lyoto Machida def. Vitor Belfort via second-round KO (Front kick)
- Cezar Ferreira def Karl Roberson via first-round submission (Arm triangle)
- Aleksei Oleinik def Junior Albini via first-round submission (Ezekiel choke)
- Davi Ramos def Nick Hein via first-round submission (rear-naked choke)
- Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos def Sean Strickland via first-round TKO (punches)