Saturday, May 30, 2020

UFC: Brian Ortega says he stands by decision not to fight replacement at UFC 226

More from author

UFC: Read how UFC updated COVID-19 protocols for Las Vegas events

MMA through UFC became the first sport in the world to return after the COVID-19 pandemic. The premium organization of the sport hosted three...

UFC: Cody Stamann to take on Brian Kelleher at UFC 250

A bantamweight slugfest is headed to UFC 250 as #12 ranked Cody Stamann will take on Brian 'Boom' Kelleher on June 6. Stamann (18-2-1 MMA)...

UFC News: Dominick Reyes puts Jon Jones and Tyron Woodley on blast on social media

UFC 247 featured a controversial unanimous decision as champ Jon Jones was able to get the nod over previously undefeated Dominick Reyes. Even though one...

UFC News: Cub Swanson teases going up 40 pounds to fight at MW this weekend!

Weight classes? That's cute! UFC veteran Cub Swanson vows to jump up 40 pounds to fight at middleweight. 'Killer' Cub Swanson has been a staple...
- Advertisement - UFC: Brian Ortega says he stands by decision not to fight replacement at UFC 226 - Brian Ortega

UFC 226 ended up being the best card of the year until now. The card did great on all aspects from being stacked from bottom to top to gate and attendance. Almost impossible to accept that just days before the fight, the card suffered a huge blow.

Featherweight king Max Holloway who was scheduled to defend his title for the second time on the co-main event was forced to pull out of the fight due to ‘concussion like’ symptoms, blurry vision and slurred speech. Challenger Brian ‘T-City’ Ortega who had already began his weight cut, was left opponent less.

UFC: Brian Ortega says he stands by decision not to fight replacement at UFC 226 - Brian Ortega
(Pc- Twitter)

UFC however began their quest to find a replacement. In came the #4 ranked featherweight contender Jeremy ‘Lil Heathen’ Stephens who was ‘blowing out’ White’s phone. UFC President Dana White at a pre-fight press conference said that the UFC attempted to fill in Stephens as a replacement to fight Ortega but Ortega didn’t take the fight. Fans booed inside the Pearl at the Palms when White said that.

Ortega took to Instagram to address this issue.

“I’m a Businessman, a company man, but I’m no yes man,” Ortega said. “Watching the fights last night knowing I could have been performing for all of you truly took a toll on me. I stand by my decision. Thank you to all of you who showed up to support and respected my decision,” Ortega said. “For those of you who don’t agree with me I completely understand and promise to give you guys the show of your life when I fight for the title.” (via Instagram):

Interestingly Ortega had a similar route to the title. He earned his title shot after replacing Holloway at UFC 222 against Frankie Edgar who risked his title shot just for the fans. Ortega however thought differently and didn’t choose that route.

Read also:

UFC: Dana White claims Jeremy Stephens was ‘blowing up’ his phone to replace Holloway but Ortega didn’t accept the fight

If any content is used from this article, kindly backlink to this page.

If you like reading about sports, make sure you check out SportsIndiaShow.com
Also follow India’s biggest arm wrestling tournament at ProPanja.com

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement - UFC: Brian Ortega says he stands by decision not to fight replacement at UFC 226 - Brian Ortega

Related articles