The highly anticipated fight between Khamzat Chimaev and Leon Edwards was supposed to take place next weekend on December 19 at the Apex facility in Las Vegas.
However, the Briton got infected by Covid-19 and had to pull out of the fight and now the world’s biggest MMA promotion is looking for a new date to book the fight.
Dana White on the release of Anthony Johnson: "He was under contract with us, I would have loved to see him compete here. I don't know. Use your imagination."
White discusses roster cuts and how much he cares about what other promotions are doing. pic.twitter.com/GrBhv9lF0S
— Aaron Bronsteter (@aaronbronsteter) December 10, 2020
This would have been Khamzat Chimaev’s fourth outing of the year. He made his UFC debut at the Fight Island in Abu Dhabi last July. He fought John Philips at UFC on ESPN 13 and defeated him via second-round submission.
Khamzat then made a quick turn around and fought within 10-days against Rhys McKee and defeated him via TKO in the first round at UFC on ESPN 14. He later fought Gerald Meerschaert at UFC Fight Night 178 last September and knocked him out in just 17-seconds.
On the other hand, this would have been Leon Edwards’ first fight in nearly eighteen months. He last fought against Rafael Dos Anjos at UFC on ESPN 4 and defeated him via unanimous decision. He was also scheduled to fight Tyron Woodley in March, but the fight got cancelled following the global lockdown and travel restrictions because of the surge in coronavirus.
UFC Vegas 17 Fight excluding Khamzat Chimaev and Leon Edwards
- Stephen Thompson vs. Geoff Neal
- Marcin Tybura vs. Greg Hardy
- Marlon Moraes vs. Rob Font
- Misha Cirkunov vs. Ryan Spann
- Jose Aldo vs. Marlon Vera
- Khaos Williams vs. Michel Pereira
- Alexandre Pantoja vs. Manel Kape
- Belal Muhammad vs. Dhiego Lima
- Deron Winn vs. Antonio Arroyo
- Sijara Eubanks vs. Pannie Kianzad
- Aiemann Zahabi vs. Drako Rodriguez
- Tafon Nchukwi vs. Jamie Pickett
- Rick Glenn vs. Carlton Minus