Mackenzie Dern earned herself a lot of critics when she came in at 7.5 pounds over the designated weight-limit for her fight at UFC 224 against Amanda Cooper. She won the fight via submission due to a rear-naked choke. That victory propelled her up to #15 in the official UFC women’s flyweight rankings. However, that has brought even more criticism from the fans and pundits. Even fellow fighters such as Angela Hill and Felice Herrig have criticised her.
Hill and Herrig both took to social media to reveal their displeasure. Here’s what Hill tweeted:
Well this is a big fat slap in the face. I’ve fought top competition, beat #14 and the rankings finally grace me with #15 ranking, just to get bumped by a f**king flyweight.
Below is what Herrig wrote on Instagram:
I’m going to weigh in on the UFC strawweight rankings with at least 7.5lbs of factual perspective:
1) For the most part 1-5 are pretty accurate across all weight divisions, but after that the rankings are a crap shoot.
2) These days hype trains seem to be gifted rankings over actually having to fight to the top.
3) McKenzie Dern misses weight by 7.5 pounds, which makes her closer to a flyweight than strawweight. She beats an unranked fighter and takes Angela Hill’s well earned #15 spot when her only actual win in the UFC as a strawweight was to Ashley Yoder. McKenzie won by a very close split decision, while Angela won unanimously. So why does Angela get bumped??
4) Justine Kish isn’t even in the top 15, although she beat #14 NinaAnsaroff unanimously and #11 Randa Markos. Justine did move up to Flyweight but so did Joanne Calderwood. So why is Calderwood even in the rankings anymore?
5) If Michelle Waterson is #7 & I’m #8 then 9, 10 & 11 are all out of order…
6) I beat Alex Grasso unanimous decision , I beat Cortney Casey split. Waterson beats Casey split decision. Casey finishes Markos, while Grasso takes her to split. So the rankings should actually be: #7 Waterson #8 Herrig #9 Casey #10 Grasso #11 Markos Even if Dern made weight there is no factual reasoning as to why or how she could take Angela’s spot other than a massive glitch in the matrix.