UFC president Dana White had to cancel UFC 249 last week after he was told by ESPN and Disney executives to stand down. It was the fourth UFC card to get cancelled.
However, Dana White is adamant about being the first sports organization to return to business after the Coronavirus pandemic is over. In fact, he already has a fight card planned for May 9.
On Tuesday in an interview with Variety, White said that he was planning to host the fights on UFC’s Apex facility in Las Vegas, Nevada. Now White said to Damon Martin of MMAFighting that it is very expensive to host fight under current conditions, but he is going ahead with the May 9th plan anyways.
“Listen I’m not stopping,” White said. “I have this thing figured out. The reality is can it be done? Yes, it can be done. It’s just very expensive. It’s very expensive and I’m willing to spend the money to do it.”
Dana White is not going to wait forever to promote UFC events
UFC hasn’t hosted an event since UFC Brasilia that took place on 15th March at a closed Arena. Since then they have had to cancel events on March 21, March 28, April 12, April 18, April 25 and May 2 events. Most of the major sporting events around the world have had to shut down their doors amidst the pandemic, but Dana White said that he is not going to wait forever to promote UFC events.
“I don’t sit around and wait for somebody to tell me it’s time to do this, it’s time to do that,” White said. “You’ve got to look ahead at what’s happening out there. My commitment is to my employees and to my fighters. I don’t want lay anybody off and I don’t want fighters sitting around for a year not being able to make money but I want everybody to be safe.
“Instead of hiding from this thing, how do you get out there and figure out how to function yet be safe about it. My biggest problem with this whole thing is misinformation. You read one thing here, you read something different over here. Nobody really knows what’s going on. It’s been a very strange thing to deal with.” (H/T – MMAFighting.com)
UFC Fight card for May 9 event
- Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje — Interim lightweight championship
- Henry Cejudo (c) vs. Dominick Cruz — Bantamweight championship
- Amanda Nunes (c) vs. Felecia Spencer — Women’s featherweight championship
- Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik — Heavyweights
- Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar — Featherweights
- Donald Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis — Welterweights
- Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro — Heavyweights
- Alexei Oleinik vs. Fabricio Werdum — Heavyweights
- Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson — Women’s strawweights
- Ronaldo Souza vs. Uriah Hall — Middleweights
- Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price — Welterweights
- Charles Rosa vs. Bryce Mitchell — Featherweights
Do you guys think Dana White will be able to host event on May 9?