UFC bantamweight champion Henry Cejudo won’t be fighting at UFC 250 on May 10 as scheduled. The current champion was scheduled to fight Jose Aldo in Sao Paulo, Brazil, but following the travel restrictions, the Brazilian pulled out.
After Jose Aldo pulled out of the fight last week, there were talks about former bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz fighting Cejudo on May 10.
The pair were previously going back and forth on social media, but now the reigning champion has said that his next victim would have to wait. UFC postponed UFC 249 and other domestic events indefinitely until the Coronavirus scare was over.
Big thank you to my training partners and coach’s for these last incredible weeks of training. The goat rampage is officially postponed. 🔪 🐐 Goat will be served another day….. #andstill4ever
This would have been Henry Cejudo’s first title fight in 11 months. Cejudo last fought inside the Octagon back at UFC 238. In that fight, he defeated Marlon Moraes via TKO to win the vacant UFC bantamweight champion.
Had Dana White not postponed the events, the fights would have taken place at Tachi Palace Casino Resort in Lemoore, California.
Why did UFC postpone all it’s events?
Speaking to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, White revealed that the top brass at UFC and ESPN wanted the fights to be postponed.
UFC President Dana White spoke to Brett Okamoto about #UFC249 no longer taking place on April 18.
— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) April 9, 2020
“I told you this whole thing has been a battle since Day 1,” White said. “We’ve been fighting non-stop all day and all night since this pandemic started to put on this event on April 18. And today we got a call from the highest level you can go at Disney and the highest level of ESPN. One thing that I’ve said since we started our relationship and partnership with ESPN – and it’s been an incredible one, it’s been an amazing partnership. ESPN has been very, very good to us, and the powers that be there asked me to stand down and not do this event next Saturday.”
Who will Henry Cejudo fight now?
Jose Aldo was originally slated to fight Henry Cejudo at UFC 250. He pulled out only after not being able to travel to the US because of travel restrictions. It’s highly likely that Cejudo will fight Aldo next whenever UFC resumes its operations.