Fans have been wondering for quite some time if the UFC 249 card will go ahead as scheduled. Now as per sources, UFC 249 will take place in Florida.
The Coronavirus outbreak is growing worse by the day and so far has affected travel in numerous places around the world. UFC president Dana White was also downplaying the incident for days but ultimately had to cancel three fight cards.
March 21 card (UFC Fight Night 171) which was scheduled to take place at the O2 Arena in London was cancelled.
UFC on ESPN 8 card scheduled for March 28 card was moved from Colombus, Ohio to UFC Apex Center. The fight was supposed to be headlined by Francis Ngannou and Jairzinho Rozenstruik. UFC Fight Night 172, which was supposed to be headlined by Alistair Overeem and Walt Harris on April 11 has also been cancelled.
As per Steven Marrocco of MMA Fighting, the highly anticipated UFC 249 card could take place in Florida. UFC president Dana White previously said that he believed that the fight card could take place outside of the US.
Industry source just told me UFC in active talks to hold UFC 249 in Florida using same setup as Combat Night event. Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville mentioned as potential hosts.
— Steven Marrocco (@MMAFightingSM) March 24, 2020
“Industry source just told me UFC in active talks to hold UFC 249 in Florida using same setup as Combat Night event. Orlando, Tampa and Jacksonville mentioned as potential hosts,” Steven wrote on twitter.
Dana White says UFC 249 will definitely happen
Earlier this week, UFC president Dana White was live with Yahoo Sports’ Kevin Iole on Instagram. White confirmed here that the fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson will take place on 18th April. The fight has been moved from the Barclays Center in Brooklyn to an undisclosed location.
“Khabib vs. Tony is on. April 18, it’s happening. I do (know where the fight will take place) but I’m not ready to tell you yet. I know lots of things. There’s not going to be any fans there. It’s going to be a closed event,” White said. (H/T – BJPenn.com)
Khabib Nurmagomedov revealed last week that he is also confident about the fight going forward. He said that Dana White was going to send him location soon.
“Next couple of days, Dana’s going to send us the location.” Khabib said on Instagram live alongside his manager.
”We need maximum 100 people inside the arena,” he said. “Close the arena, 100 healthy people come inside and make the show. Put the camera on pay-per-view, and everybody can fight. People who are quarantined and (are sitting) home, they’ll have fun and watch fights.
”I think we just need 100 people to make this fight. Put the camera on and show who’s the best lightweight of all time. This is a very important fight, and this is why I like the UFC’s politics. They always try to make the best versus the best.”
Do you guys think that the fight will go ahead as scheduled?