UFC light heavyweight Sam Alvey believes there has been a ‘huge overreaction’ to the coronavirus outbreak.
UFC president Dana White announced earlier this week that the promotion has cancelled it’s next three events till April 17.
After downplaying the pandemics for days, Dana White said that March 21, March 28 and April 11 cards have been cancelled. March 11 card (UFC Fight Night 171) was scheduled to take place at the O2 Arena in London.
UFC on ESPN 8 card scheduled for March 28 card was moved from Colombus, Ohio to UFC Apex Center. The fight was supposed to be headlined by Francis Ngannou and Jairzinho Rozenstruik. UFC Fight Night 172, which was supposed to be headlined by Alistair Overeem and Walt Harris on April 11 has also been cancelled.
Sam Alvey believes there has been a ‘huge overreaction’ to the coronavirus outbreak
Sam Alvey is disappointed by the cancellation of the fights. He was scheduled to fight on 28th March against Khalil Rountree.
“I’m very disappointed,” Alvey told MMA Fighting. “I thought for sure it was going to happen, but I’m still convinced that this pandemic is going to pass in the minds of the American people.
“It’s really embarrassing for me, for our country that it hasn’t yet already. But it’s one of those things. You can’t see the future all the time.”
“It’s a huge overreaction,” Alvey said. “Deaths are terrible, and I’m very sorry for all the families that have suffered through that but pneumonia, just a typical flu season right now has killed close to 20,000 people, and people just don’t pay attention to that.
“It’s terrible that people are getting sick and not that many people are dying, but they still are, and that’s terrible, but when you compare it to any other flu season, even our current flu season, it’s killing 15 to 20,000 people in a three-month span.”
Do you guys agree with Sam Alvey here?