The highly anticipated UFC 249 card scheduled to take place on May 9 finally has a venue and it’s not Las Vegas. UFC 249 card will take place in Florida.
The news was first reported by Mike Heck of MMAFighting. Although the card will take place in Florida, the exact location is still unknown. The fighters fighting on May 9 card will land in Jacksonville and from there on they will fly out to an undisclosed location.
UFC 249 was scheduled to take place last weekend at the Tachi Palace Resorts and Casino situated in Lemoore, California. The resort was a 40-minutes ride from Fresno. However, Dana White had to postpone the plan after the top brass at ESPN and Disney told him to stand down.
Initially Dana White said that the fight on May 9 would take place in UFC’s Apex facility in Las Vegas, Nevada. However, now it looks like the UFC is targeting Florida as the ideal location.
Last week, Florida gov. Ron DeSantis labeled sporting events as essential services and said that the fans were starved of content.
“People are chomping at the bit,” DeSantis said according to the Tampa Bay Times.
“If you think about it, we have never had a period like this in modern American history where you’ve had so little new content, particularly in the sporting realm. I mean, we are watching reruns from like the early 2000s.”
“You wouldn’t have the crowds,” DeSantis said. “Put that on TV. People are starved for content. We haven’t had a lot of new content since the beginning of March.”
UFC 249 card for May 9 event
- Tony Ferguson vs. Justin Gaethje — Interim lightweight championship
- Henry Cejudo (c) vs. Dominick Cruz — Bantamweight championship
- Francis Ngannou vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik — Heavyweights
- Jeremy Stephens vs. Calvin Kattar — Featherweights
- Donald Cerrone vs. Anthony Pettis — Welterweights
- Greg Hardy vs. Yorgan De Castro — Heavyweights
- Alexei Oleinik vs. Fabricio Werdum — Heavyweights
- Carla Esparza vs. Michelle Waterson — Women’s strawweight
- Ronaldo Souza vs. Uriah Hall — Middleweights
- Vicente Luque vs. Niko Price — Welterweights
- Charles Rosa vs. Bryce Mitchell — Featherweights