Conor McGregor made his successful octagon return after a long fifteen-month layoff last Sunday when he faced Donald Cerrone. The fight took place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and McGregor knocked out Cerrone in just 40-seconds.
This was the second-fastest knockout win of Conor McGregor’s UFC career.
The fans didn’t expect Conor McGregor to blow Cerrone out so quickly. McGregor busted Cerrone’s nose with his shoulders and then went for a high kick which dropped him and then went for the ground and pound after which the referee had to step in to stop the fight.
Seconds after McGregor beat Cerrone, he embraced him and exchanged words with him. The conversations were released on UFC’s Thrill and Agony video on their youtube channel.
“I love you, Donald,” McGregor said. “Those shoulder shots broke it, eh?”
He also embraced Donald Cerrone’s grandmother and told her that she had raised a tough grandson.
“I have respect for you, so much respect for you,” McGregor said to Cerrone’s grandmother. “You raised a hell of a boy. You should be proud, I’m serious.” (H/T – BJPenn.com)
Meanwhile, during the post-fight interview, McGregor revealed that he was ready for anyone in the division.
“It was a good shot,” McGregor said.
“It feels very good, I made history tonight. I said on the record that I would be the first UFC fighter to secure knockouts in three divisions. I’m very, very happy and proud tonight. The work has been phenomenal, I appreciate you all.
“I’m so happy. UFC can strip fighters and give fighters make-believe belts but they can take away knockout finishes.
“Who’s going up and down divisions and stopping people like that? I’m very proud of my performance tonight. Etch my name in history tonight!
“Anyone of these mouthy little fools can get it!” McGregor said during the post-fight interview.
What’s next for Conor McGregor?
With this fight being at 170lbs, Conor McGregor has a plethora of opponents to choose from. For instance, he can choose to fight the BMF champion Jorge Masvidal. He can even go down to fight Khabib Nurmagomedov in a rematch or fight the top contender Justin Gaethje.
Moreover, McGregor has also expressed interest in fighting UFC welterweight champion, Kamaru Usman.
Meanwhile, another great match-up for Conor McGregor is trilogy fight with Nate Diaz.
Official UFC 246 results:
- Conor McGregor def. Donald Cerrone via TKO (strikes) — Round 1, 0:40
- Holly Holm def. Raquel Pennington via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Aleksei Oleinik def. Maurice Greene via submission (armbar) — Round 2, 4:38
- Brian Kelleher def. Ode Osbourne via submission (guillotine) — Round 1, 2:49
- Diego Ferreira def. Anthony Pettis via submission (rear-naked choke) — Round 2, 1:46
- Roxanne Modafferi def. Maycee Barber via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-26)
- Sodiq Yusuff def. Andre Fili via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Askar Askarov def. Tim Elliott via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Drew Dober def. Nasrat Haqparast via TKO (punches) — Round 1, 1:10
- Aleksa Camur def. Justin Ledet via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)
- Sabina Mazo def. J.J. Aldrich via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)