One of the most anticipated middleweight clashes between Israel Adesanya and Yoel Romero is set to take place this weekend. The fight will take place in the main event of UFC 248 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Ahead of the fight, there are concerns regarding the Cubans ability to make weight for the fight. Romero has missed weight at UFC 221 and at UFC 225. He weighed in at 2.7 pounds heavier at UFC 221 and knocked out the former UFC middleweight champion Luke Rockhold in the third round.
Yoel Romero on why he never moved up to 205 lbs
Despite his weight woes, he never moved up to light heavyweight before. However, Romero is confident that he will make weight at UFC 248.
“When I’m training, I go down (in weight), and when I’m training, normally when I have a good training, (I weigh a) maximum 210 (pounds),” Romero said. “It’s not possible. When I’m not training, boom – yeah, heavyweight. But when I’m training – 210, 208, 210, 208. It’s not possible for me. It’s not possible because I’m training good. I have respect for my job. When I’m training, I know what I need to do for good training.
“When you don’t sleep good, and when (you’re not eating healthy), something wrong happens: mistake. … and When I have a good training, it’s not possible to go up. The (potential opponents) are so heavy.”
“Everybody is different, but no excuses,” Romero said. “You need to do it because it’s the one mandatory thing you need to do as a professional – as long as you have enough time to do it.” (H/T- MMA Junkie)
UFC 248 fight card
- Israel Adesanya (c) vs. Yoel Romero — Middleweight championship
- Weili Zhang (c) vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk — Women’s strawweight championship
- Beneil Dariush vs. Drakkar Klose — Lightweights
- Li Jingliang vs. Neil Magny — Welterweights
- Alex Oliveira vs. Max Griffin — Welterweights
- Sean O’Malley vs. Jose Quinonez — Bantamweights
- Mark Madsen vs. Austin Hubbard — Lightweights
- Rodolfo Vieira vs. Saparbek Safarov — Middleweights
- Deron Winn vs. Gerald Meerschaert — Middleweights
- Polyana Viana vs. Emily Whitmire — Women’s strawweights
- Jamall Emmers vs. Giga Chikadze — Featherweights
- Danaa Batgerel vs. Guido Cannetti — Bantamweights
Do you guys think Yoel Romero should move up to light heavyweight if he fails to make weight at UFC 248?