Sean Strickland just got a step closer to fighting for the UFC middleweight title after he scored a split decision win over Jack Hermansson in the main event of UFC Vegas 47, which took place at the UFC’s Apex facility in Las Vegas.
After a five-round back and forth fight, the judges scored the fight 49-46, 47-48, 49-46 in favour of Sean Strickland. While Strickland rightfully deserved to be the winner, one of the judges Sal D’Amato scored the fight in favour of Jack Hermansson which has attracted negative reactions from fighters and fans alike on social media.
Strickland used his jab beautifully throughout the fight and was one of the key reasons for his victory. On the other hand, the jab troubled Jack and Sean used it without ever really exposing himself to any danger. This makes six wins in a row for Sean, who should be getting a shot at a top-5 fighter in his next outing. He also called for a fight against the winner of Israel Adesanya vs Robert Whittaker 2 taking place next weekend at UFC 271.
UFC Vegas 47 Full Results: Strickland vs Hermansson
- Sean Strickland def. Jack Hermansson via split decision (49-46, 47-48, 49-46)
- Nick Maximov def. Punahele Soriano via split decision (28-29, 30-27, 29-28)
- Shavkat Rakhmonov def. Carlston Harris via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 4:10
- Brendan Allen def. Sam Alvey via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:10
- Bryan Battle def. Tresean Gore via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Julian Erosa def. Steven Peterson via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- John Castaneda def. Miles Johns via technical submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 3, 1:38
- Hakeem Dawodu def. Mike Trizano via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Chidi Njokuani def. Marc-Andre Barriault via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:16
- Alexis Davis def. Julija Stoliarenko via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 30-27)
- Jailton Almeida def. Danilo Marques via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:57
- Phil Rowe def. Jason Witt via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:15
- Malcolm Gordon def. Denys Bondar via submission (injury) – Round 1, 1:22