UFC flyweight contenders Gillian Robertson and Mariya Agapova go way back, and as they lock horns this Saturday night at UFC Vegas 60, Robertson hopes to mark a stoppage victory over her former training partner.
Gillian Robertson planning a “Rear-naked choke or ground and pound,” finish against Agapova
Coming from only one win in her last four outings in the Octagon, Robertson was originally slated to take on promotion’s newcomer Melissa Gatto at UFC Vegas 60 this 17th of September at the UFC Apex. However, after Gatto was removed from the card due to “undisclosed reason”, Mariya Agapova was swapped in as a replacement.
Robertson and Agapova have a history together. The two used to train at American Top Team, and ahead of the fight night, ‘The Savage’ revealed on Just Scrap Radio on BJPENN.com that getting someone familiar like Agapova as her opponent just makes her more confident.
“It was in the same text message we got the news. Melissa Gatto’s out, do you want Mariya Agapova?” said Robertson, “We just replied yes so it was no worry about not fighting, that is why I’m so lucky to be with a company like the UFC who are so professional and got me an opponent before I even knew my other one was out.”
“We actually worked together for four or five months at ATT… We got a lot of rounds in so we are very familiar with one another but that was a long time ago. I feel like it’s a good matchup for me, especially grappling-wise,” the 27-year-old went on, “I feel like that is where the fight plays out the best for me. She has an awkward style of striking that is hard to deal with, punches come at a weird angle, and she is able to pull some things off. Some powerful shots and is a threat on the feet but I expect it to be my world.”
“I try not to make it as quick as possible anymore but yeah definitely I feel like that is my quickest way to finish, either a rear-naked choke or ground and pound,” Robertson said. “It’s the ideal way to finish but I would like to play it out on the feet a bit before I take her down,” the Canadian added.
While she’s confident about her victory, Robertson does want to fight once more this year and hopes to get into the flyweight rankings.
“I don’t think this win will put me in the top-15 but maybe a win after that would put me in there and then make a title run,” added Robertson. [H/T BJPenn.com]
UFC Vegas 60 Full Fight Card
- Bantamweight: Cory Sandhagen vs. Song Yadong
- Middleweight: Chidi Njokuani vs. Gregory Rodrigues
- Featherweight: Andre Fili vs. Bill Algeo
- Middleweight: Joseph Pyfer vs. Alen Amedovski
- Heavyweight: Tanner Boser vs. Rodrigo Nascimento
- Middleweight: Anthony Hernandez vs. Marc-Andre Barriault
- Featherweight: Damon Jackson vs. Pat Sabatini
- Welterweight: Trevin Giles vs. Louis Cosce
- Women’s Bantamweight: Aspen Ladd vs. Sara McMann
- Women’s Strawweight: Denise Gomes vs. Loma Lookboonmee
- Lightweight: Trey Ogden vs. Daniel Zellhuber
- Women’s Flyweight: Mariya Agapova vs. Gillian Robertson
- Bantamweight: Tony Gravely vs. Javid Basharat
- Lightweight: Nikolas Motta vs. Cameron VanCamp
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here.