Former UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Volkan Oezdemir returns to the octagon and will be facing Division’s newest prospect Magomed Ankalaev at UFC 267.
Former UFC light-heavyweight title challenger Volkan Oezdemir will be back in action after a one-year layoff. He last fought at UFC 251 when he fought the division’s newcomer Jiri Prochazka. The fight was a nightmare for him as Jiri came out with all guns blazing. He had his moments but the pressure was just too much in the first round. In the second round, he got caught by a strong punch and was knocked out brutally. Oezdemir was then scheduled to face Nikita Krylov at UFC Fight Night 180 but he pulled out of the fight early indicating a knee injury. Now he has a tough challenge in front of him as he has to share the octagon with the powerful Magomed Ankalaev at UFC 267.
MMA DNA’s Marcel Dorff revealed the light-heavyweight matchup.
Another great match-up added to already phenomenal #UFC267 card in Abu Dhabi on October 30th.
Volkan Oezdemir vs. Magomed Ankalaev will now happen on that card. The fight was originally booked for September 4th. pic.twitter.com/WMOQfOur65
— Marcel Dorff 🇳🇱🇮🇩 (@BigMarcel24) August 24, 2021
“🚨BREAKING NEWS🚨” Dorff’s tweet read.
“Another great match-up added to already phenomenal #UFC267 card in Abu Dhabi on October 30th. “Volkan Oezdemir vs. Magomed Ankalaev will now happen on that card. The fight was originally booked for September 4th.”
The fight is a great addition to the already stacked UFC 267 card. According to the reports, the fight was originally booked for the UFC fight night event on September 4 but now is postponed and is set to happen at UFC 267.
Volkan Oezdemir has had dynamic ride in the UFC. He is 17-5 in pro-MMA and is 5-4 in the UFC. He fought Daniel Cormier at UFC 220 for the light-heavyweight championship but lost the title fight via TKO in round 2.
Magomed Ankalaev is coming off a decisive decision win over Nikita Krylov on February 27, 2021, at UFC Fight Night 186. Before that, he fought Ion Cutelaba in two back-to-back fights. The duo first fought at UFC Fight Night 169 where Magomed won by a controversial first-round stoppage. The match was immediately rebooked and the duo finally fought at UFC 254 but the result didn’t change as Magomed put an end to all questions as he knocked Ion out again in the first round. Now he has the opportunity to take on a former title challenger and a dominant win over Oezdemir will definitely put him in the top 5 spots in the division.
UFC 267 card:
- Light heavyweight championship – 205lbs: (C)Jan Błachowicz vs. Glover Teixeira
- Bantamweight championship – 135lbs: (C)Aljamain Sterling vs. Petr Yan
- Lightweight – 155lbs: Islam Makhachev vs. Rafael dos Anjos
- Strawweight – 115lbs: Amanda Ribas vs. Virna Jandiroba
- Welterweight – 170lbs: Li Jingliang vs. Khamzat Chimaev
- Light heavyweight: Michał Oleksiejczuk vs. Shamil Gamzatov
- Heavyweight -206-265lbs: Walt Harris vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Flyweight – 125lbs: Tagir Ulanbekov vs. Allan Nascimento
- Heavyweight: Alexander Volkov vs. Marcin Tybura
- Featherweight – 145lbs: Zubaira Tukhugov vs. Ricardo Ramos
- Featherweight: Makwan Amirkhani vs. Tristan Connelly
- Light heavyweight – 205lbs: Volkan Oezdemir vs Magomed Ankalaev
Purchase the UFC merch here.
Click to Predict here.